Last week when when I was reading Thriving Family Magazine, one article title caught my eye: Become Your Spouse’s Publicist. In the book world, a publicist is one who advertises and promotes books.
It got me thinking…Do I more often give my husband “bad press” or “good press?” If I’m honest with myself, there are times that my tendency is to talk negatively about my husband than positively.
Yesterday was Mark’s birthday. So today I gave him the day off of his usual Marriage Monday post. Instead I’m taking this opportunity—in honor of his birthday—to give my husband the good press that he deserves.
In honor of his 50th birthday, here are 50 things I love about my husband:
1. He is a man who loves God’s truth.
2. He has a gift talking to people and helping them discover things about themselves.
3. He loves people and see God’s best in them.
4. He has a tender heart that is sensitive to God’s Spirit.
5. His spiritual gift of discernment never ceases to amaze me!
6. He’s not afraid to change when change is needed.
7. He’s fun!
8. He gives incredible back rubs.
9. He’s a hard worker.
10. He has a servant heart that blesses others in so many ways.
11. He has a gift with fixing things.
12. He is a wonderful father.
13. When the kids were little, he was so good to give them baths and get them to bed so I could have a break. 14. He has helped me raise our children…he is truly a partner.
15. He is predictable…and I love that about him!
16. He takes out the trash without my asking.
17. He is thoughtful.
18. He understands me.
19. He takes pride in the yard and caring for our home.
20. He is handy with things around the house.
21. He cleans up the vomit while I clean up the kid.
22. He let’s me be me and he is ok with him being him.
23. He goes to musicals with me even though he hates musicals.
24. He reminds me to keep my mileage when I rarely remember to do it myself.
25. He is ok being called “Mr. Jill” at the Hearts at Home conferences. Not many men would be ok with that.
26.He is so good to repair things around the house quickly. I don’t even have to ask!
27. He helps out in the kitchen, doing whatever needs to be done. (And he taught me to make incredible chili!)
28. He is committed to our family.
29. He is willing to live with less even when it’s sometimes not fun to do without.
30. He takes time for us.
31. He is an incredible dancer. I love swing dancing with him!
32. He balances the checkbook every month!
33. He helps around the house with almost anything. (I know that dusting is where he draws the line. Hey a man’s got to have his boundaries!)
34. He is a loyal and encouraging friend.
35. He has a cute butt.
36. He is patient with the kids, teaching them to do things the first time.
37. He was so good to wrestle with the kids when they were younger.
38. He is one sexy Papaw!
39. He takes care of our cars so well.
40. He likes to shop way more than I do.
41. He is a wise leader and my best leadership consultant.
42. He has supported me being home with the kids even though it was financially challenging.
43. He handles the Christmas tree lights every year.
44. He helps get all the decorations out every December.
45. He helps put all the decorations away every January!
46. He gives me time away when I need it.
47. He draws me out and help me understand my feelings.
48. He is an excellent listener.
49. He encourages me. He encourages the kids. He encourages everyone he meets!
50. He is my best friend.
Why don’t you take a stab at being your spouse’s publicist today? Go tell someone the good things about your partner!
Want regular encouragement?
Subscribe to get Jill's latest content by email.
I so need to be a better publicist for my husband! Thanks for sharing this. YEsterday at church I picked up the book "The Excellent Wife" which speaks to the same thing! God must have a hand in this…He always does.
Love your list…thanks for sharing it!
I love the thought of being his "publicist." 🙂 And I'm so glad to discover your Marriage Mondays theme. I've been doing MM as a meme since January and have been so helped by the weekly focus for myself and to hear what others share. I love the way you and your hubby share the writing. Great idea!
First of all, what a great list-you're husband sounds AMAZING! Fixes things without being asked and helps wherever needed in the kitchen? Helps clean?? I nearly fell off my chair! You are truly blessed with everything on your list. What a great reminder to not only SEE the good, but to "publicize" it. It's often only the things that really irritate us that we feel we "need" to say out loud to others (particularly our husbands).
Thanks to Anonymous for the book reference. I will check that out. Another good one is "Finding the Hero in Your Husband" or Norman Wright's "Bringing out the Best in Your Husband". In fact, I'm going to get that one out again right now. Thanks for putting that in the front of my mind again where it belongs.
It's so easy to put your husband AFTER your children when they are little- you just try to get through the days in one piece sometimes. And if you forget the positive things about him, you begin to complain and bicker with each other and begin to wonder what brought you together in the first place. HOWEVER, if you appreciate him out loud, maybe you're more inclined NOT to forget the positive things, and less inclined to feel dissatisfied with him and everything else. Gee, I think I have it all figured out now! :DD Seriously, I think gratefulness is the true secret to happiness in marriage AND in life. Most of us need constant reminding of this! So, again, thank you!
Thanks, too, Jill, for sharing your wonderful insight and encouragement here and in your books. I was so happy to discover you last year. I see your books as part of my ongoing education for motherhood and your website as constant support. I made a quick sneak to the computer today wearily looking for a mood boost/pep talk (I'm a SAHM of two small children) and I'm so glad I did. You are a blessing to us all.