It’s a snow day here in the Midwest and for a big part of the country. I just love bonus days like this!
If you need some inspiration for how to use a bonus day try one or more of these ideas:
1. Bake cookies. (If you have school age kids, it’s a great day to teach them how to read a recipe, measure ingredients, and enjoy the fruits of their labor.)
2. Stay in your jammies all day.
3. Let the kids build a fort in the house and let them have a picnic lunch in their fort.
4. Teach the kids how to play solitaire…not on the computer…with real cards!
5. Pull out a board game you haven’t played in ages.
6. Put together a jigsaw puzzle.
7. Have a tea party.
8. Have a marshmallow fight.
9. Blow bubbles in the house.
10. Fill the bathtub, pull out pool toys, pull out the swimsuits, and let the kids go “swimming” in the bathtub.
11. Because you have the time, try a new recipe for dinner.
12. Have the kids draw pictures for grandparents or aunts and uncles who live far away. Teach them how to address an envelope and prepare something to be mailed.
13. Shut off the television, the computers, the video games, and have everyone read for an hour.
14. Make puppets out of paper bags and have a puppet show.
15. Fill spray bottles with colored water and let the kids spray paint pictures in the snow.
16. Make homemade valentines for the kids to give to friends, grandparents, and other special people in their life.
17. Make snow ice cream.
18. Watch family movies or look at photo albums with the kids.
19. As much as you possibly can…be a yes mom!
20. Register for a 2011 Hearts at Home Conference (your family will thank you)!
What about you? What other ideas do you have for using a snow day to the fullest?
Want regular encouragement?
Subscribe to get Jill's latest content by email.
Great ideas and right on time! We might give that snow ice cream a try!
I have to admit, I’m really looking forward to the (likely) possibility of a snow day tomorrow. Our weekends have been too busy lately, and the idea of a WEDNESDAY at home with NOTHING going on is very appealing!!
I agree! That’s why I call snow days bonus days! They are such a welcome break in routine!
Thank you for posting this. I need some inspiration today! With a 4-year-old and 21-month-old, I get stir crazy when we have snow days and it’s not looking like we’re getting out of the house any time soon. This list will help us enjoy the snow days. We baked cookies this morning and will probably make a fort this afternoon.
Yay! Sounds like a great plan!
Thanks for the ideas! My 7YO came home with “homework” today – which were instructions for a “snow day dance”. Hilarious!! We are getting ready to go participate in it and hope to be able to use some of your ideas tomorrow! Hope you don’t mind but I posted your article on Facebook too.
That’s great! What a creative teacher! I’m fine with you posting the article on Facebook as long as it links back to my blog in some way. Thanks for helping share it with other moms!
Yes- I just used your link to Facebook to share this page. =)
Loved the ideas and have used many of them. We had 2 back to back snow days, yesterday and today, so we had a chance to start something that I wanted to have my 2 boys involved in this year. We are making fun foam door hangers and Valentine’s for some of the people in the local nursing homes. I’m hoping to do decorations for different holidays for the nursing homes. Amazingly this took almost 2 hours. We also have been “De-cluttering” thanks to KAren Ehman so we took a look at the game closet and played each game as they came out of the closet.
Thanks for the inspiration Aren’t snow days great!!!!!