All too often, we look at the future and are full of ideas, plans, and dreams for what we want to accomplish. But if we fail to make advanced decisions about those goals, they likely will never actually happen.
As we approach the end of the year, this is the perfect time to start thinking about some advanced decisions that you want to consider in the new year. How do you want this next year to go? What decisions do you need to make now to ensure you get closer to your goals in your life?
Today, Mark is joining me and we are diving deep into advanced decision-making! This is something both of us are really passionate about, as it affects every aspect of our lives, from our finances to our time to our calendar. We hope this episode gives you some direction on how to live out your priorities!
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Get your FREE “Our Plan” Worksheet to help you plan out living your priorities!
- 14 Life Lessons Learned From a Difficult Hike
- As a thank you for listening, get your 3 free eBooks!
My Key Takeaways:
1) Advanced decisions help you live out your values and priorities. Simply put, an advanced decision means you’ve committed to doing something ahead of time and you have blocked out the time for it in your calendar. We’ve found that if we don’t schedule it in advance, it’s much more likely we’ll fail to keep up with our commitment.
2) Advanced decisions allow you to say “no” to anything that interferes with what you’ve already chosen to say “yes” to. Maybe this is a decision to show up to all of your child’s sporting events. In order to achieve that goal, you’ll need to plan in advance to be available on those days. Maybe this is a decision to spend one night a week together as a family. Well, if you are going to accomplish that, you need to determine what day each week will be “off-limits” to other commitments. If you don’t plan for it, the chances are slim it will actually happen!
3) Review your advanced decisions regularly. For anything new, it’s actually valuable to evaluate the routine or rhythm quarterly! It’s okay if decisions don’t end up working out or if a season of life requires you adjust goals you had set. Giving yourself the freedom to be honest about if an advanced decision is helping you reach a goal or needs to be adjusted to help you reach a goal ultimately allows you to live with more intentionality and direction.
Would you like to be notified by email when a new No More Perfect Podcast episode releases? Just fill in your name and email and we’ll make sure you’re in the know! 👇👇👇