Today we’re talking about how things that happened in the past sometimes can put a cloud over the future. You may sometimes wonder: Can I really heal? Can I move forward without shame? Can God really use me?
My guest really understands these questions. She has not only answered them for herself, but she has built a life and a ministry helping others answer those questions for themselves. Pat Layton is a speaker, author, and coach who loves to help women make peace with the past, find purpose in the present, and passion for the future!
In this conversation, Pat shares about her past abortion, the personal journey of healing she experienced, how you can heal your heart from the past, and so much more. I am so grateful for this episode, and I pray it’s an encouragement for you today.
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Pat’s Website
- Follow Pat on Instagram and Facebook
- [Podcast] Permission to Pause with Pat Layton
- [Book] Surrendering the Secret: Healing of the Heartbreak of Abortion
- [Book] Surrendering the Heart of a Father: A Man’s Guide to Abortion Recovery
- [Book] Surrendering the Secret Devotional
- Deeper Still Retreats
- As a thank you for listening, get your 3 free eBooks!
My Key Takeaways:
1) An abortion comes along with emotions and is not just a logical decision. Pat shared how she wasn’t prepared for the overwhelming emotions that came after she had an abortion. She entered into it logically about how it would be better for her career, marriage, and life to not have another child at that moment. It took her years to identify the feelings she still carried after the abortion that were affecting her marriage. If you’re in that same place, I want you to know that you’re not alone and there is healing.
2) Start by sharing your secret with someone you trust. Especially if you are still holding it in, the first step you can take is to share your story with a trusted friend or counselor. If you are reading this and you haven’t experienced an abortion, ask yourself how you can prepare your heart to be that trusted friend for someone else.
3) God cares about you and wants to help you recover from your past. You may feel that you need to hide your experience from God or that He can’t overlook your past, but the truth is He already knows. In fact, He’s been right there with you. He is a loving Father who cares about you and how your past affects you today. He loves you regardless of anything in your past and He is the gateway to hope.
Also, remember how we mentioned Pat’s she-shed in the episode!? I love it! Here’s what it looks like:
Pat Layton is a speaker, author, life coach, and founder of a nonprofit, Life Impact Network. Through her personal story of heartbreak and her healing journey, she is helping transform the landscape around the critical conversation of recovering from abortion. She wrote several books that she hopes helps people make peace with their past, purpose in the present, and passion for the future. Pat considers herself to be a “southern girl” to the core and in her spare time she likes to quietly rock on her front porch with a glass of sweet tea and a decorating magazine. Learn more at patlayton.net —
Would you like to be notified by email when a new No More Perfect Podcast episode releases? Just fill in your name and email and we’ll make sure you’re in the know! ???
Thank you so much Jill–it was such an honor!