As the old saying goes, you shouldn’t judge a book by its cover. I have the privilege of receiving a lot of newly published books in my mailbox, but rarely do I get truly excited about them. However, when I saw the cover of my friend’s new book, I couldn’t wait to start reading it.
The title of the book is You Have Permission: Developing a Personal Mission Beyond the Walls of Church by Pete Cocco. I love that message! God has a mission for you—a simple, unique, and personal mission that extends beyond the walls of the church. This topic has been a passion of mine for quite a while now and I love that Pete is providing a vision of something we all need to understand.
Pete Cocco loves seeing people reach their God-given potential. In addition to being a campus minister for 25 years, he has served as a pioneer coach in multiple ministries and organizations in over ten countries. It’s his experience outside the walls of the church that has produced in him an unwavering belief that all people need to be activated toward a personal mission.
In this conversation, you’ll hear:
- Why you should give yourself permission to dream big
- Why your mission doesn’t have to occur in the church
- The five permissions to help you understand your personal mission
- And so much more!
Thanks for listening in and learning more about this topic with me!
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- [BOOK] You Have Permission: Developing a Personal Mission Beyond the Walls of Church
- What is APEST?
- Connect with Pete on his website, Facebook, or Instagram
- As a thank you for listening, get your 3 free eBooks.
My Key Takeaways:
1) You have a mission outside of the church. The church is one of the best ways to get on board with the mission of God in your life and your community. As Christians, this is commonly where we spend our time, energy, and resources. In reality, though, you have a unique and personal mission that may occur outside the four walls of your church building.
2) You have permission to dream big! If you could do one thing and you knew it would succeed, what would you do? What would be your mission? We can’t out-dream God. He is often the biggest dreamer of them all. Our dreams need to be in line with God’s plan, but you cannot dream so big that He cannot accomplish it. Take some time to consider what passions and dreams He has placed on your heart!
3) Go where you are needed. Your mission will likely be lived out in the neighborhoods and communities you already find yourself. Rather than focusing our energy on creating more programs for those who come into the church, let’s focus our energy on going to those in need. Biblically, we are sent out to accomplish our mission and minister to the need-filled world around us.
Pete Cocco is an author, podcast host, co-founder of the Diffuse Network (a network for spiritual entrepreneurs), and founder of Per Mission Inc. He has a long history of launching people into personal missions from the college campus. Pete was a campus minister for 25 years, a pioneer coach to multiple ministries and organizations in over ten countries, and served on an international steering committee. He loves seeing people reach their God-given potential. Pete and his wife, Paulette, raised five children together and now live just outside of Raleigh, NC. He loves all sports and enjoys long talks with the dreamers of the world.
Would you like to be notified by email when a new No More Perfect Podcast episode releases? Just fill in your name and email and we’ll make sure you’re in the know!