Have you ever struggled to control your thoughts? Our mindsets hold a lot of power in our lives. In fact, what we think affects how we feel, what we believe, and what we do.
My guest, Michelle Nietert, agrees! Michelle is a licensed professional counselor, Christian life coach, and co-author of a new book, Make Up Your Mind. Michelle is passionate about helping people use God’s Word to fight the battle of our minds and thoughts.
In this episode, you’ll hear:
- How to reframe your thoughts throughout the day
- The power of simple square breathing
- The unhealthy mindsets you may be carrying
- And so much more
This episode is full of wonderful encouragement and truth, and I hope you enjoy it!
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Connect with Michelle on her website, Instagram, and Facebook
- Listen to my past episode with Michelle: The Gift of Mental Health
- Make Up Your Mind: Unlock Your Thoughts, Transform Your Life by Denise Pass and Michelle Nietert
- Raising Mentally Healthy Kids Podcast with Michelle Nietert
- BONUS EPISODE: Staying Steady When Life Gets Hard
- The supplements Michelle mentioned (always consult a medical professional when considering supplementation): Ashwagandha or L-Theanine
- Learn more about square breathing on this post on Michelle’s blog
- As a thank you for listening, get your 3 free eBooks.
My Key Takeaways:
1) Frame your day in light of who God is, not your circumstances. This is more than just positive thinking or telling yourself to “Be Happy!” Before your feet hit the floor in the morning, consider what you’d like your mindset to be. This may be praying something like, “Lord, I am not 100% today, but with your help, I can do what is needed.” This practice helps us acknowledge the reality of our circumstances while still aligning our thoughts with God’s.
2) Make a habit of giving yourself a mindset reset. There are many statistics on how many days it takes to form a new habit, but we need to prepare to practice these habits our entire lives. Our world is full of temptations and hardships, and we can always benefit from consistently checking our thoughts. If you want to begin practicing mindset resets, pick a trigger like every time you walk through a doorway or when you are at a red light. Each time you encounter that trigger, recite a verse or remind yourself of a spiritual truth you need to hear.
3) Support your brain. There are so many ways we can support our brains, whether through medication, supplementation, or even simple strategies to help promote the right thinking. One of the simple ways to do this is through square breathing. This is intentionally focusing on your breathing which reframes your thinking. If you want to explore medication or supplementation, meet with a professional to help guide you to the right solution to support your brain.
Michelle Nietert is a licensed professional counselor, Christian life coach, speaker, author, and podcast host. Michelle co-authored Loved and Cherished: 100 Devotions for Girls and her latest book Make Up Your Mind: Unlock Your Thoughts, Transform Your Life. She lives in the Dallas, TX area with her husband, Drew, and two children. Michelle also leads a team of counselors as the clinical director at Community Counseling Associates.
Would you like to be notified by email when a new No More Perfect Podcast episode releases? Just fill in your name and email and we’ll make sure you’re in the know!